Skip to main content.
 
TitleRECULVER, ST MARY PARISH RECORDS
Order NumberCCA-U3-99
Date1563-2008
DescriptionSt Mary, Reculver was a very early Anglo-Saxon church, built inside the site of a Roman fort on the north Kent coast. In 1809 the church was largely demolished, leaving it a ruin apart from its twin western towers, and a new church was built further inland. Some fragments from the original church are preserved at Canterbury Cathedral, and much has been written about the building. Although there is some sevententh-century material present in the collection, the bulk of items are modern. The registers begin in 1602; BTs are available from 1565.
AdminHistoryThis parish was formerly catalogued under U3-177 as well as U3-99.
AccessStatusOpen
Private
Related MaterialArchaeologia Cantiana Book 3 page 135 'The Columns of Reculver Church'
Archaeologia Cantiana Book 12, page 248 'Reculver church' by George Dowker F.G.S.
Archaeologia Cantiana Book 32 page 77 'Reculver and Hoath wills' by Arthur Hussey.
Archaeologia Cantiana Book 33 Page 169 'Seal of the vicar of Reculver' by George Clinch.
Archaeologia Cantiana Book 46, page 137 'Brook Farm, Reculver'
Archaeologia Cantiana Book 49 Page 291 'Reculver Church' 1809
Archaeologia Cantiana Book 57 page 1 'Sidelights on the Rectors and parishioners of Reculver from the Registers of Archbishop Winchelsey' by Rose Graham.
Archaeologia Cantiana Book 1983 XCIX Page 133 'A fresh look at the Reculver Parish Clerks's story' by Harold Gough.
Archaeologia Cantiana Book 59 Page 19 'Saxon Abbots of Dover and Reculver' by Gordon Ward.
Pamphlet 68/56 (old ref) Reculver Ministry of Works c1961
Pamphlet 86/17 (old ref) The church of St Mary the Virgin, Reculver 1969
DCb-T/O/R/2A Tithe Award: 20 June 1839
DCb-T/O/R/2B Tithe map: 26.7" : 1 mile 53" x 67½"
Certified: 15 February 1840
Surveyor: Thomas W Collard of Canterbury 1839
Condition: good

DCb/D/T R 3 Terrier 1630
DCb/D/T R 4 Terrier 1746
DCb/D/T R 5 Terrier 1833

    © 2019 Dean and Chapter of Canterbury Cathedral | Powered by CalmView © 2008-2019
    Canterbury Cathedral, Cathedral House, 11 The Precincts, Canterbury, CT1 2EH United Kingdom
    Tel: +44 (0) 1227 762862 | Fax: +44 (0) 1227 865222 | Email: