Skip to main content.
 
Order NumberCCA-DCc/ChAnt/Z/162
TitleReport of inquisition (copy)
Date[late 14th century]
24 Sep 1378
DescriptionReport of an inquisition taken in Kent at Canterbury on 24 Sep 1378 before John Brede, the king's escheator for Kent.
[Document damaged. Some small areas of text illegible.] Details of property held by Edmund, son and heir of Edmund of Stablegate, in Canterbury and in the manor of Nackington ('Natyndone'). Details of lands appropriated by the prior of Canterbury Cathedral Priory without the king's licence [to hold lands in mortmain] in Queningate Lane ('kwinegatelane'?), Northgate and 'Shettynge' in Northgate parish. 12 acres of land at 'Shettynge' were of Mgr Thomas Masson', now of Alexander Hanekyn, and 5 acres at 'Shettynge' were of Robert Broune. The jurors say that William Salesby and Christina his wife, Joan, William's mother, Alice Perrers and John Hanney, chaplain ('capellanus') purchased a messuage called the Fleur de Lis ('Flourdelys') in the city of Canterbury, to be held by them for the term of their lives. Seven years ago Joan and Alice released their right in the messuage to William by a deed made at 'Pallyngwyk''? [unidentified], Middlesex. The jurors do not know about the seal of Alice and Joan, but they believe that the release was made and that the messuage is worth 53s 4d a year. They jurors say that Nicholas Peny, late rector of Queningate, held a messuage and garden at Queningate which the prior appropriated in exchange for a messuage annexed to Queningate church, now in the rector's hands. No date. [Date: handwriting and date of original.]

Jurors: Richard Selwyn?; John Brewere; Robert Scherman; John Edmund'; William horslake; John Kylby; John atte heche; John Tannere; Thomas Emery; Robert Plomer; Walter atte Berton'; John Payn

Endorsed 'Henr' Cook cler' Salmonis hoxene'.
Extent1 doc
Physical DescriptionParchment, 1p, several small tears and holes, dirty, creased, stained, some small areas of text illegible
LanguageLatin
AccessStatusOpen
CopiesDigitised

    © 2025 Canterbury Cathedral | Powered by CalmView © 2008-2025
    Canterbury Cathedral Archives & Library, 11 The Precincts, Canterbury, CT1 2EH United Kingdom
    Tel: +44 (0) 1227 865330 | Email: