Skip to main content.
 
Order NumberCCA-DCc/ChAnt/M/242
TitleAgreement
PreviousNumbersI 53 (Norris); M 204 (late 19th c); Seal 3 (Sheppard)
Date9 Jul 1262
DescriptionParty: the abbot and convent of St Augustine's Abbey, Canterbury, rectors of Milton Regis
Party: the prior and convent of Leeds Priory, rectors of Borden

The dispute between the abbey and priory concerning the greater tithes of certain lands in Borden parish has been resolved. The abbey shall receive tithes from the lands of the heirs le dech, John kydenoth, Robert and Adam the weavers ('textor'), John Hare and Adam Griffin, which lands lies between ('inter') the land of the heirs of Matthew de quercu and the king's highway called Key Street, with the land of the heirs of 'Dominus' Robert de syrlonde? [document damaged] to west and the street which leads from Borden church to 'le dethyeshelle' and to an [acre?] called 'Pagesacre' in the same field to east. The priory shall pay the abbey an annual payment of 2s as specified at Milton Regis.
The priory shall receive the tithes of the land called 'Butheshamme' which lies with the land of the heirs of 'Dominus' Robert de syrlonde to east and the acre of the lepers of 'chisilhelde' and the way called 'Buthesamstrete' to west. [Document damaged. Some details lost.] [Seal reunited with document on the basis of the entry in Beauvoir's catalogue, cited below.]

Witnesses: Mgr Simon de solehelle, abbey steward ('seneschallus'); John de Northwode; William de Ores; Ralph savage; John de Belawe; Dunstan of Maidstone; Simon de Chisilhelde, smith ('faber'); Thomas dudeman; John, son of Thomas dudeman; Thomas le Best

Endorsed with description in late 13th and 14th cent hands.
Extent1 doc
Physical DescriptionParchment, 1m, chirograph indented at top, seal, remains of seal tag pinned to plica, several small holes and small areas of text lost. Seal reunited with document May 2004
LanguageLatin
AccessStatusOpen
Related MaterialSeal described in Bodl MS Gough Kent 9, p21 (Beauvoir's catalogue of seals)

    © 2025 Canterbury Cathedral | Powered by CalmView © 2008-2025
    Canterbury Cathedral Archives & Library, 11 The Precincts, Canterbury, CT1 2EH United Kingdom
    Tel: +44 (0) 1227 865330 | Email: