| Description | From: Simon Meopham, archbishop of Canterbury
To increase provision for cure of souls in Godmersham parish and the annexed chapel of Challock, the archbishop, with the consent of Mgr John de Brywton', rector of Godmersham, establishes the church and chapel as a perpetual vicarage. The archbishop, with the rector's consent, assigns a portion worth 20 marks from tithes and other income as specified for the support of the vicar. Details of the vicar's financial responsibilities, including repairing the roofs of the church and chapel, maintenance of a chaplain and provision of bread, wine and lights. The archbishop confers the vicarage on 'Dominus' Robert of Wye ('Wy'), priest. Reserving the right of collating to the vicarage to himself and his successors. No date. [Date: handwriting.] Original dated 24 Sep 1330 at Boughton under Blean.
Endorsed with description in late 14th cent hand. |