| Order Number | CCA-DCc/ChAnt/F/7 |
| Title | Ordinance (duplicate) |
| PreviousNumbers | vii (15th c); Q 173 (Norris); F 7 (late 19th c) |
| Date | 25 Nov 1225 |
| Description | From: Stephen Langton, archbishop of Canterbury
When the church of Farningham ('Freningeham') became vacant, there was uncertainty about whether or not it was a chapel of Eynsford ('Einesford'). The archbishop therefore made the following ordinance, with the agreement of Prior John [de Sittingbourne, I], Hugh the almoner ('Elemosinarius') and the convent of Canterbury Cathedral Priory and H[enry], rector of Eynsford. Henry shall have the church of Eynsford with all the tithes, as the rector had before. The almoner and the monks, who claim that a third of the great tithes of Farningham belong to them because it is a chapel of Eynsford, as a result of a composition made in the time of H[ubert Walter?], the archbishop's predecessor, shall have the chapel of Farningham to the use of the almonry, except for a vicarage endowed with the lesser tithes. The monks shall have the tithes of corn ('bladum') and a messuage containing 6½ dayworks of land to the east of the garden. From these they are to pay the vicarage 100s, payable as specified. When the vicarage is vacant, the rector of Eynsford shall present to it. Henceforth the monks shall claim no other rights in the chapel of Farningham or the church of Eynsford.
Endorsed with description and note of registration and duplication in late 13th cent hands. |
| Extent | 1 doc |
| Physical Description | Parchment, 1m, seal, rust stain and hole at lower left |
| Language | Latin |
| AccessStatus | Open |
| Open |
| Copies | Digitised seal |
| Related Material | Duplicate: CCA-DCc-ChAnt/F/6 Registered versions: CCA-DCc-Register/A, f163v, and CCA-DCc-Register/E, f62r (archbishops' charters section) and CCA-DCc-Register/B, ff4v-5r |
| Publication Note | Transcribed in Kathleen Major (ed), Acta Stephani Langton, (Oxford University Press, 1950), pp97-98 as no 78 |